Nigeria is a multi ethnic country with diverse religions, customs and ways of life, Nigeria is also world most populous country in the world.
Compilation below will excite you and really make you be proud as a citizen of Nigeria
1. Nigeria is made up of thirty-six states.
2. Nigeria has over two hundred and fifty ethnic groups.
3. Nigeria boasts of well over four thousand dialects.
4. Nigeria has fourth highest number of doctors in the world.
5. Nigeria has the second highest number of slang in the world after USA.
6. Nigeria is also among the top five countries in the world with unexplored natural gas reserves.
7. Nigerian schools has strict dress codes known as school uniforms.
8. Nigeria has two seasons, the rainy season and the dry season. Each of this seasons lasts for six months.
9. Nigeria has more writers and authors than the rest of West African Countries combined.
10. Nigeria is the third country with the highest number of musicians in the world.
11. Nigeria is the seventh largest democracy in the world.
12. Nigeria has one of the fastest growing telecommunications industry in the world.
nigeria ethnic diversity
– Nigeria is rich in cultural diversity
13. Nigeria has the 14th highest birthrate in the world.
14. Nigeria boasts of the highest number of press in Africa.
15. Nigeria has the highest rate of twins in the world, particularly the Yoruba tribe.
16. Nigeria ranks 19 in the world’s death rate.
17. Nigeria is U.S largest trading partner in the Sub-Saharan Africa.
18. Nigeria ranks 10 among the countries with the largest petroleum reserves.
19. Oil was discovered in Nigeria in 1956 at Oloibiri in Bayelsa state.
20. Another fact that is worthy of note about Nigeria is that the cost of living in it’s capital Abuja, is higher than that of London.
21. Nigeria Stock Exchange is the second largest in Africa.
22. Nigeria was named after River Niger.
23. Nigeria’s calling code is +234.
24. Nigeria’s Niger River is Africa’s third largest.
25. Nigeria’s total land area is 577,355+ sq mi.
26. The unification of Southern and Northern Nigeria took place in 1914.
27. The official name of Nigeria is Federal Republic of Nigeria.
28. Nigeria was declared a republic in 1963.
29. Nigeria’s highest populated city is Lagos.
30. Nigeria’s colonial master is Britain.
31. Nigeria is the thirteenth country with the highest fertility rate in the world.
32. China’s best market is Nigeria.
33. Nigeria adopted 6-3-3-4 educational policy in 1982.
34. Nigeria is seventh most populous country in the world.
35. Nigeria Lola Alakija is the richest black woman in the world.
36. Nigerian hotels are the most expensive in the world.
37. Wealthy Nigerians or celebrities are known to lavish money to host ceremonies.
38. Nigeria Nollywood film industry is the second biggest film industry in the world after Hollywood.
39. Nigeria took its first loan from the World Bank in 1977.
40. Nigeria has 5-6 richest pastors in the world.
41. Nigeria Igbo ethnic group are the most hardworking and the most industrious of all the ethnic groups in the country.
42. Nigeria fought civil war two years after her Independence.
43. Nigeria was the first country to effectively contain and eliminate the Ebola outbreak threat that ravaged some west African countries Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea
nigerian ebola survivor dr ada igonoh
– Nigerian Ebola survivor, Dr Ada Igonoh Delivered
44. Nigeria first coup was in January 1966.
45. Igbos in Northern cities suffered persecution and many fled to the Eastern Region in 1966.
46. Nigeria’s most expansive topographical region is that of the valleys of the Niger and Benue state river valleys.
47. Nigeria Lagos state is the largest city in Africa.
48. Nigeria economic development had been hindered by years of military rule, corruption and mismanagement.
49. Cocoa is the leading non-oil foreign exchange earner in Nigeria.
50. Nigeria has a wide array of unexploited mineral resources which include natural gas, coal, bauxite, tantalite, gold, tin, iron ore, limestone, niobium and lead and zinc.
51. Nigeria Calabar Carnival festival is tagged ” Africa’s Biggest Street Party”
Calabar Carnival Festival
52. Nigerian satellite built in 2004, was Nigeria’s third satellite and Africa’s first communication satellite.
53. Nigeria is a religiously diverse society, with Islam and Christianity.
54. Nigeria cinema is Africa’s largest movie industry.
55. Nigeria provides free, government-supported education.
56. HIV/AIDS rate in Nigeria is much lower compared to the other African nations.
57. Nigeria cuisine is known for its richness and varieties .
58. Nigeria’s national football team, is known as the Super Eagles.
59. Gay marriage is prohibited in Nigeria, and offender risks 14 years jail term.
60. Mrs Fumilayo Ransome-Kuti mother of Fela Kuti was the first woman in Nigeria to drive a car.
61. Nigerian Aliko Dangote is the richest man in Africa.
62. The Obasanjo military regime converted Nigeria from a Parliamentary system to a Presidential system of government.
63. Nigeria took its first loan from the World Bank in 1977.
64. Sir Adesoji Aderemi becomes 1st Nigerian and 1st African to be appointed Governor in the Commonwealth. He became Governor before Nigeria got independence.
65. Osun Sacred Groove, a World Heritage site is one of the most visited scenic places in Nigeria.
66. River Benue and River Niger are the largest rivers in Nigeria.
67. Nigeria is a member of the British Commonwealth and the African Union.
68. The capital city of Nigeria is Abuja.
69. Nigeria’s motto is “Unity and Faith, Peace and Progress”
70. Nigeria legislators are the highest paid legislators in the world.
71. Portuguese were the first Europeans to reach Nigeria in 1472.
72. Nigeria has been ruled by the military for most of the 55 years of its independence from Britain.
73. Nigeria Calabar, Cross River State, contain the world’s largest diversity of butterflies.
74. Nigeria president has the highest vehicle convoy in the world.
75. Nigeria’s north (719,000 sq. km), occupies 80% of Nigeria’s land mass. In size it is four times the South.
76. Nigeria’s canoe called Dufuna Canoe is Africa’s oldest known boat which was discovered by a Fulani Herdsmen in Dufuna, Yobe.
77. There is a place called Sabo in every state in Nigeria.
78. The centre of Nigeria’s Oil Industry is Port Harcourt.
79. The currency of Nigeria is called the Naira.
80. Nigeria is among the top five countries with the largest unexplored natural gas reserves.
81. Nigeria is part of the OPEC
82. The National Flower is Cetus Spectabilis
83. Nigeria’s time zone is UTC +1
84. British Journalist Flora Shaw, later wife of Lord Frederick Lugard, named “Nigeria” after the great Niger River.
85. Nigerian are known as happy people despite hardships.
86. Nigeria is referred as the “Giant of Africa”.
87. The highest point in Nigeria is Chappal Waddi at 2,419 m (7,936 ft).
88. In 1963 Nigeria established a Federal Republic, with Azikiwe as its first president.
89. Nigerian Wole Soyinka is the first African Nobel Laureate
– Wole Soyinka
90. In 1966 Nigeria had back-to-back military coups.
91. Nigeria’s total land area is 577,355 sq mi.
92. The United States of America is Nigeria’s largest foreign investor.
93. In 2005 Nigeria had the highest rate of deforestation in the world.
94. Former president Obasanjo military regime converted Nigeria from a Parliamentary system to a Presidential system of government.
95. Population in Nigeria increased from 1990 to 2008 by 57 million a 60% growth rate.
96. One in four Africans is a Nigerian.
97. Nigerian Civil War began in May 1967, after the Eastern Region declared independence as a state called the Republic of Biafra.
98. Nigeria Education is overseen by the Ministry of Education
99. Football is largely considered the Nigeria’s national sport.
100. The kingdom of Nri of Igbo people is the oldest kingdom in Nigeria.